Saturday, June 14, 2014

Mozzarella Caprese Rolls

I have actually surprised my own self creating this wonderful fresh mozzarella rolls, with fresh sliced Roma tomatoes, black olives, sun-dried tomato slices, and fresh basil leaves. All these ingredients were on-hand in the fridge at my daughter's...actually, the fresh basil, I snipped off the basil plant.

They were so easy to put together; fresh, colorful, and super delicious! You never know...really, what you can create just from your own ingredients if you are like me, having fresh cheese, vegetables, and of course condiments that are just waiting for some creative hand to liven them up. Giving it a new name, as well...not knowing if there's actually a name for it out there, so you just re-name your creation...that's why I mentioned that I surprised myself!


Seriously, having the freshest ingredients, and special cheese, which we love so much in my family; you can't really go wrong. Imported black olives, or calamata pitted olives, and I just love, sun-dried tomatoes to use in salads, and pasta dishes.
I will show you step-by step how I made this; just glancing at the photo on the package of the cheese to give me an idea

So this is the surprise...BEL GIOIOSO
UNWRAP & ROLL, Fresh Mozzarella Cheese











Just look how easy...unwrap the roll...remove the
plastic, and start filling it with your favorite filling that compliments the cheese.











My choice was the idea of a Caprese with the mozzarella cheese...except I 'kicked it up a notch' by adding more complimentary ingredients that would go well with the fresh tomato slices.
black pitted olives could be optional...you can add capers, or even roasted pepper slices.






These are the sun-dried tomatoes I use...excellent quality, and I just love that it's julienned already.











I used about 1 cup of the sun-dried tomatoes,  maybe slightly more, and boiled them in small amount of water for 5 minutes to soften them a little more. (don't boil them longer, or they will lose their flavor and get too soft)

I placed them on a plate and poured abt. 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and stirred them around the get them saturated.



You can use the oil to drizzle on the flat portion of the roll, or skip that part. Sprinkle some sea salt on it, and freshly ground pepper.

 I used the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes to drizzle before rolling it, but you can omit this step.







Wrap the roll tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2hrs or longer. Carefully remove wrap and slice with a sharp knife. Use a spatula to serve the pieces on a small plate as an appetizer, and serve with crunchy bread...totally amazing, and super delicious!























10 comments:

Laurie M said...

they look delicious, what a great product that cheese is, so convenient! I can think of many uses for that cheese in that form!! The pool looks so inviting, a beautiful spot to relax!

Patty Magyar said...

I will be making this tomorrow! It's the perfect dinner for two...or one! I love the photos, too!

Angie Schneider said...

I have never seen this special kind of Mozzarella cheese...really cool that you can use it to make rolls. Fantastic!
Love Lora's garden and I still remember that prolific mango tree...
Happy Sunday!
Angie

Emma said...

Nice Elisabeth! A glass of wine and a hot day and you'd be all set with these luscious rolls.

I love your daughter's pool also, such pretty photos.

(I've never seen that kind of mozzarella either, such an unusual shape).

Happy Valley Chow said...

That is sooo cool! What an awesome recipe :)

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Phong Hong said...

Hi Elisabeth! I didn't know that mozzarella cheese also comes in a flat sheet. I will only eat mozzarella in pizza but I am so admiring your very colourful mozzarella caprese rolls! You daughter has a lovely home and I love the garden!

Priya Suresh said...

Never heard about this kind of mozzrella, this rolls are alluring..Such a beautiful home and love the pool.

Zoe said...

Hi Elisabeth,

I have never seen this ready to do rolled version of fresh Mozzarella cheese. Sounds very innovative :D

Love love love your mangoes tree. I can see lots of mangoes on it... I know how you feel. It must torturing to wait for these juicy mangoes to ripe :p

Zoe

Illéskrisz Konyhája said...

Kár, hogy nálunk nincs ilyen roll sajt. Különleges lehet! A mangófádat nagyon irigylem, csodálatos növény!! Ahogy lógnak rajta a gyümölcsök, igazán mókás...

Judit + Corina @GlamorousBite said...

Kedves Elisabeth! Have not seen mozarella sheet before, and we love your fabulous idea! What beautiful photos from Lora's garden. Hope you are having a lovely summer :)
J