Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Bacon-Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

As you can see, there are two Bacon-Pineapple Upside-Down cakes on this photo; don't be fooled, on the left, is the page of the Food Network magazine, and on the right is my actual cake! I must say, I have never...well, almost never made a cake the turned out almost identical as the picture from a magazine or book...and I'm also proud to share the 'source' where the recipe comes from originally. Most food blogger...and I do say MOST are not willing to share the source of their recipes even if they adapted it from a source...which is even better because you get to take your own 'twist' on it, and share that as well.

Although in the 1970's we all just wrote down on little index cards recipes that we exchanged with one-another, and who knew where they originated from...some of them were 'hand-me-downs' and some were clippings from magazines, but virtually no one knew the actual source! In the 90's, when I got my first computer in 1995 and had the Windows 95, my neighbor, who was more advanced with computer knowledge even a few years prior, suggested that I should type up all my hand written recipes and create a file where I could easily find them. I spent hours and hours typing (good thing I took typing in high school) ...so I didn't have to peck with my index finger...lol!

Well, since then I got rid of most of my handwritten recipes...and I kind of feel bad about that!
Fast forward, here we are in 2014 with some pretty advanced cameras, and we are not only blogging about food, but taking some amazing food photos, as well! I do admit one thing, the only way we can mention that our recipes are original...and I do mean original creation, is that from memory, remembering a certain 'staple dish' with the ingredients we already kept in our memories; but than, we just have to remember the measurements...that is how our mothers and grandmothers cooked...a pinch here, and a dash, or just 'eyeballing' the liquid measurements. When it came to baking...they would pull out an old ratty cookbook, or a yellowed piece of handwritten paper when it came to baking...am I correct, or not?
All I can tell you that this is the best Pineapple-Upside-Down Cake you've ever had in your life...that is, if you LOVE bacon like most of us do. Forget about the calories, the fat, and cholesterol, just for once, and splurge a little! I got so hooked on the bacon dish and dessert creations just from that Food Network magazine; the bacon issue, that I plan to study it well, to make more recipes from it!

Especially, when you can buy a package of a very good quality bacon, and get the 2nd package for FREE...you certainly have a bargain for sure! Our local Publix Supermarket always, but always has the 'buy one'...and 'get one free' of so many different products every week, that you'd be amazed how much you can save!

Bacon-Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
recipe, courtesy of Food Network Magazine
Ingredients
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp, 9 to 11 minutes; remove to paper towels. Finely chop and set aside.
Pour off all but 3 tablespoons drippings from the skillet. Add 4 tablespoons butter and melt over low heat. Pour into a 9-inch-round cake pan, tilting the pan to coat the bottom. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter mixture.
Place a pineapple ring in the middle of the pan, then arrange the remaining rings around the outside, overlapping them slightly if necessary. Sprinkle about 3 tablespoons of the chopped bacon in the middle of the rings and between them.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Beat the remaining 1 stick butter and the granulated sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Increase the mixer speed to high and beat until the batter is smooth, about 15 more seconds. Fold in the remaining chopped bacon.
Spread the batter over the pineapple in the pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Transfer to a rack and let cool 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and invert onto a platter. Let cool at least 1 hour before serving.

Always use the freshest and ripest pineapple you can find...these were already pre-cut into logs, and I sliced them about 1/2 inch slices.
Fry 6 slices of bacon in a large skillet, on medium heat, and lay them on paper towel to soak up the excess grease.
On top of the stove, add the light brow sugar, the butter, and reserved bacon fat and let the melt down. Swoosh the pan to smooth it out. ( I used a Le Creuset enameled large cast iron skillet..
('thrift find' from Goodwill) a few years ago, for $3.99...don't even try to find one in such perfect brand new condition today...and forget about the old price!
Lay the pineapple slices carefully over the brown sugar mixture...you can overlap them slightly if they don't fit right. (You can use a cast iron skillet, or a heavy duty skillet. Cake pan also works well, but you have to transfer the brown sugar mixture from the skillet that you melted the sugar in)
Chop the bacon really fine...chances are, you may have a small amount left over!
Fill the holes of the pineapple slices, and all the empty spaces around them.
With an electric hand mixer, or stand-up mixer, mix the cake ingredients according to the recipe!
With a rubber spatula, carefully spread the batter on top of the pineapple slices.
The batter should look smooth, and spread all the way to cover the pineapple pieces.
Here's the finished result...perfectly baked, golden brown. Let the cake cool for 15 minutes then with a dull knife loosen around the edges. Place a large platter over the top, and carefully turn it upside-down. Wait at least one hour before cutting it. ( my cake was done in about 50 minutes) May not need 1 hr. to bake according to your oven.
Just to refresh your memory, after one hour of resting the cake...can't wait to cut into it...and share!
Moist, delicious, sweet and savory...hope you will try this! xo



17 comments:

Patty Magyar said...

This is an amazing looking cake! I think it will be our dessert for the Fourth Of July!

Laurie M said...

that is amazing, the salty sweet a little sour combo, wow!!!!!

Phong Hong said...

Hi Elisabeth! I had to read the title of your post twice to make sure that I really saw the word "bacon"! Yours is the most beautiful Pineapple Upside Down Cake I have ever seen and I am not saying that just because of the bacon! This is something new to me, a savoury cake. And I noted that you did not use a conventional cake pan. You used a skillet and that is brilliant! And oh, I will have to agree with everything that you said :)

scrambledhenfruit said...

Oh yum! I can just imagine how the savory bacon tastes with that sweet pineapple! I still have many hand-written recipe cards- I have a hard time parting with some of them. :)

Katalin said...

Nagyon guszta lett! Ügyes módon van megsütve :-) Teljesen olyan lett a tiéd is, mint a magazinban :-) Finom lehetett!

Ivy Sew said...

Hi Elisabeth, this upside-down bacon pineapple cake is so delish and inviting. Yeah, it looks so beautiful too!! Amazing and irresistible. Would love to try this recipe one day. Thanks for sharing and warmest regards :)

Angie Schneider said...

I love the combination of sweet and salty..the addition of bacon has taken up a notch to this upside down classic. Absolutely heavenly!

Rosemary Wolbert said...

Even non-pineapple lovers would have to love this. Looks divine. I've never made a dish from a magazine that ended up looking like the photo -- congratulations!

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Elisabeth!
I'm just popping by from Barbara's and her Picnic Game post. Looks like I'm just in time too! Who would have thought to take a classic such as Pineapple Upside Down Cake and make it all "baconie." Well, the Food Network of course!

As a cookbook collector and recipe saver from way back when, I wish I too had typed in all those recipes way back in the 90s. I did manage to catalog many of my cookbooks through the years though and love sharing them on my blog.

Your cake does look much like the magazine picture. Something I am so terrible at doing, lol...I haven't run into many blogs where the recipe sources aren't listed. I do know it happens though.

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe...As hostess of the Picnic Game, I do hope you will pop by for the Round-Up on July 1st in celebration of National Picnic Month! Louise

~~louise~~ said...

Whoops, I just realized it was Kathy's blog that I popped over from. I've been busy, busy visiting all the picnic guests' delicious picnic treats! (Kathy's Double Banana Pound Cake is going to be perfect for the picnic:)

Liz Berg said...

Just stunning, Lizzie! This is one of my dad's favorites...and he loves bacon, too, so I may have to treat him to this glorious version! Hope you're enjoying your week! xo

Illéskrisz Konyhája said...

Érdekes párosítás. Bacon és ananász... Egy kóstolást megérne. Pont mint a képen.

mangiabella said...

wow. with bacon!!! really sounds amazing. so true about the recipes over the years...have a beautiful week sweet friend

Dawn Yucuis said...

I would have never thought of adding bacon to a pineapple upside-down cake. Sounds amazing! Your pictures turned out so lovely.

lena said...

hi elisabeth! it's really nice to read your comment after being away for a while, thx for the lovely comment. Yes, you did it, that's a wonderful looking cake and it looks just the same as in the magazine. Bacon is a surprise ingredient for me in pineapple upside down cakes, if i'm living near you, i wld sure pop by your house and ask for a slice!

Sissi said...

What a wonderful original cake idea! I love this cake (and I would love it even more if I added a ton of chilli to it ;-) ).

Priya Suresh said...

Addition of bacon make this cake more interesting and different from the usual upside down cake.