Saturday, July 23, 2011

LongBoards Restaurant Grand Opening!

First and most important, I would like to express my appreciation to all of you for all you kind comments, and support on my blog, If I have not done the same for you please let me know in e-mail and "chew me out" if I have not been supportive enough, I will try harder!
I am spending most of my days and nights here at my son's, while they are away in NYC, and upstate New York for 2 weeks. I do go home every day as well, to feed my kitties and spend a couple hours with them.
I'm sure they miss me, as I miss them, and things will be back to normal by next week. During the day, I spend my time at Lora's (daughter) who only lives a few blocks away. It's always an adventure with Lora and my grandchildren...so much fun. Every day there's always a project...can't alway keep up with them. They ar always on the go. If I would start telling you the day-to-day routine, it would take up an entire post for my blog, so I will share something which is quite unique....instead!
There was a new restaurant opening in downtown West Palm Beach, Florida, a couple weeks ago. I was anxiously waiting to go there with my son, Joe, and wife Cara, and a two buddies of my son. No children allowed becauce it was such a "madhouse" opening, and the place was packed like "sardines"...and why not?
(In the video, those kids must have been the owner's kids.)
 All the appetizers were free, and you were allowed 2 or 3 free drinks. They handed you 2 or 4 genuine sea glass when you entered at the door...that was your token for the drinks that you gave back when they brought you the drinks.
In the meantime, as we arrived in West Palm Beach, there was an old car show right smack in the middle of 
Clematis Road, downtown. They were featuring cars from the fifties and sixties...of course my favorite was a beautiful red Chevy, I think from 1967...will get to that, as I am taking you on the tour. These were all the pictures that I took with my camera. The theme for "Longboards" is really about a surfer restaurant, tha is one and only in Palm Beach County. My son's artwork on surfboards that is his side hobby is all shown here.
They are all hanging, and adorning this cool place. We'll get to that also!
You'll have to forgive me, I have no idea of the make of these cars, I only know so far that the very first car oln top of the page is a 1959 Cadillac...they sure don't make cars like that any more, with all the expensive chrome and beautiful workmanship...OK...moving on!
I think this is a 1955 Buick...but I could be wrong!
I love this car the most...always have. A 1967 SS Chevy!
Wow...just look at the engine of this "baby"...need I say more?
Now that's a cool old Chevy truck!
Now, the fun begins...this is the entrance of the restaurant...as you can see, there's also a band outside across from the restaurant!
This is the first surf board that was hanging on the wall as we entered. Sargent Pepper, The Beatles, is feautered on here. My son Joe designed and painted these surfboards (but not the nude woman surfboard in the video)...Joe just came up with this concept a couple years ago. He is a fantastic artist, and writer. He published his first novel, and is working on the second.
This is the second surf board...A Hawaiian design!
This is one of my favorite of my son's work. I love the ocean view...the little people, and the palm trees!

It's actually a seafood place...just look at all the fresh seafood at the bar...this was not "free"...of course, even if it was the grand opening!
This surf board was on the opposite side of the restaurant wall, art work of my son Joe. I really am so proud of him, he is so dedicated to his family, work, art, and fun...I'm such a blessed mom...with a beautiful and loving family!
Wall to wall people...I totally missed taking photo of the food trays being passed around. So many chicken wings, they couldn't keep up with them...not to mention mini crab cakes, fish sliders, mini ribs...etc.
I must tell you, in Florida you find all kinds of characters...here's one of them, he just happened to join in the conversation at our table....LOL
He gave me permission to take his picture...but he said "just don't touch my balls"....I don't think that will happen...LOL
The woman on the left...don't know her, but she also plopped her plat as you can see...empty, at our table, and was waiting at the open kitchen for trays to come out so she can be the first to fill up her plate!
There she is...patiently waiting for food to come out...I figured she's a "she" with the pink back pack!
Well, she joined us too, and now she is wearing a Hawaiian "lei"...almost finished with her Long Island ice tea...he, he...and more chicken wings?
Here's Chef Victor...saying "hurry up" with those trays...Got a hungry croud out there!
Let me tell you...that was such a fune night...I had such a great time, don't usually go to places like this, or should I say restaurant opening?
That's what I call a "packed house"...or should I say a "packed bar"
Even a cute litte litttle "pooch" joine in on the fun!
This is what was going on outside as we were leaving. A skate board championship!
Watch the You Tube video...my son Joe ( wearing orange baseball cap) is being interviewed! Just found the video, when I wanted to link to the restaurant!
This was the street scene at night...on a Thursday night...not even a weekend. Very organized event...no disturbance of any kind, except for the woman with her chicken wings inside...who joined us got into a fight with an elderly guy who dumped his chicken wing bones on her plate full of wings...guess he had a bit too much to drink and mistakened it as bones on that dish. She started to clobber him with her pink back pack.
(we have it on tape too...LOL)
So, that's it for now...leaving the event at about 9:30PM...the party was still going strong, but the next day was a working day, and enogh fun for one evening!

29 comments:

SKIP TO MALOU said...

How lucky can your family be. You guys live in close to each other. Now that my kids are all in college, I tell them that once they are done schooling and starting a family on their own that we should all live in one city or state. Oh well I have yet to wait for that day haha.
Wow looks like you are in the right city where people know how to PARTAY!
And again thanks for the award. I also thanked you in my blog.Happy weekend!

Junia said...

wow, looks like you and your daughter's family is having a fabulous summer! when i lived in michigan, they have tons of those types of vintage car shows in detroit!

purabi naha said...

Wow, nice review! I felt so light reading this post and really felt like visiting this wonderful seafood paradise. The picture of the seafood delicacies left me drooling...I want those lobsters please!

Bianka said...

Nagyon szép autók, finom ételek

mangiabella said...

your son's art is fabulous! this grand opening looks like so much fun, and you've brought the details to all of us so wonderfully, I felt like I was there, picturing the sea glass being handed out and the marvelous trays of food being passed around. We're big oldie car fans, we used to attend lots of car shows, in fact one in particular that used to fall around our anniversary. Years ago we used to own an all original 1950 Lincoln, and a 1968 camaro convertible....they were gorgeous, both of which we don't have any longer....but the memories remain....hope you have a lovely weekend sweet bella

laurie said...

what a beautiful celebration!I love it when they close the streets for things like this,, the art on the surf boards is amazing,, just beauitful,,you are having a great summer,

Petra said...

Gyönyörű öreg autók, de az étterem sem rossz! Jó party lehetett. Kedvencem a tengeri gyümölcsök asztala, és a vicces kalapos férfi. :)

laurie said...

thanks for visiting today, and yes cooking is an art, a beautiful art, and you are a wonderful artist,,

Reeni said...

So much fun stuff going on in your neck of the woods! I had to giggle over the chicken wing incident - I would of been pretty grossed out if someone dumped their gnawed bones on my plate! Your son is super talented - I think it runs in the family!

Pacheco Patty said...

Hi Elizabeth, you're such a supportive blogger!
I'm impressed with your reporting and photos here, looks like you were having a lot of fun checking it all out. I live close to my daughter and family which I love, grandchildren are the best;-)

Lizzy said...

Your son can paint and write???? Such talent in your family! You must be so proud. And you are one of the most supportive bloggers I know...I'm so behind visiting with others this summer, but you're always around with a kind word. Thanks for being you, my friend! xoxo

Angie's Recipes said...

Elizabeth, you're always so supportive! (I have no idea why you can't comment on my blog using your son's computer...maybe due to some scripts I use on my blog)
LOL The guy enjoys a little "sexual innuendos", doesn't he?!
Those cars, esp. that yellow one, look amazing! I love those painted surfboards, esp. the one painted with Beatles. Your son has done a fantastic job.
Angie

Dzoli said...

Wow.Whay a car flelet ,what a food fun fun fun:)

Brenda said...

What a fun time and a great review! Your son is so incredibly talented, his paintings are gorgeous. Wow! And I have to agree, you are one of the most supportive bloggers I know too. :o)

ping said...

Hahaha! That's sounds like such an entertaining night, with pink backpacks and folks getting clobbered over chicken wings!
You've got a great family, all beautiful and talented. You're so very blessed :D

Curt said...

Great way to spend a day. Great surfboard art too! You should be proud!

Jacqueline said...

Well that is some restaurant. Looks like fun :)

Pegasuslegend said...

You are most diffinitely where the action and fun is in Florida, I love the car shows, those boards are fun too! Love the seafood bar... its amazing your in the same state and we just mosey along slow but sure, just sun no fun! lovely post!

Kathleen said...

This looks like a blast!

Kate@Diethood said...

So that's where life is a blast...in Florida! That looks like so much fun...lucky!!!

Lin Ann said...

Hi Elisabeth, what a great post to return to after vacation! I'm slowing getting back into things and saw your comment on my blog. We're home, but I haven't had time to post anything yet. I was getting caught up on Foodbuzz, etc. What an artistic family you have - from creative chefs to artists! My mother lives near St. Pete's and I wish it were closer to West Palm Beach because I'd love to visit some of the places you talk about. Your son's art is terrific, lively, and fun! Congrats to him!!! Oh, and I love the vintage cars - my cousin is involved in that up here and has a great time with it. I'll be back soon!

Sanjeeta kk said...

Very nice review, love the clicks.

Parsley Sage said...

Such a blast! Great cars, great company, great night :)

Mrs K said...

What an interesting post,Elizabeth !!! You made me feel as if I was actually there. I should henceforth be looking out for these restaurant openings they seem so much fun and Free food...whoa !!!You have such a talented son,enjoyed all his art work and watched him in the video too :)I am happy you are having a good time and keeping busy too !!!BTW thanks for wishing me a good holiday time while I was away in India :)

Becky said...

The restaurant opening was quite a "happening", it seems, with free appetizers and drinks. Looks like you had a good time. Your son's artwork is amazing. I imagine you were so proud of him. Being up North, I never knew that thy painted on surfboards.

Tina (PinayInTexas) said...

Thanks for all your support too, Elisabeth! I know how busy you can be...but you always find time to show us your love! Thumbs up to you!

That restaurant opening looks so fab! I'm sure everyone had so much fun!

Veronica's Kitchen said...

I live very close to my mum and sisters too. It is so handy to ask for help and helping each others. The antique car show is so cool and I'm so glad you have a good time. We are planning to travel the west coast of US next year, really look forward to it!

Swathi said...

I love the clicks you take, looks like you had fun time. sure food also taste great. Love all the vintage cars and skate boards.

mia xara said...

This was one cool celebration, Elisabeth, judging by the cars,art,food and,of course people..Loved your son's board(I would also be a proud mommy)and I wish you keep having fun throughout your vacation!XO