Thursday, April 7, 2011

Egg Salad in Pita Pocket.... and a Winner!

With all the activities and preparations for my daughter Lora's upcoming surgery on Thursday, I've been in a "daze" and have not been able to concentrate on making anything that would be worthwhile to post about. Although, I did make a huge pot of simple fresh vegetable soup yesterday, and literally cleaning out my refrigerator of all the veggies I have, that included cabbage, carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, celery onions and garlic cloves, parsley, and I just chopped up everything and sauteed it, and added vegetable broth in the pot, seasoned it brought it to a boil and just simmered till it was a gorgeous vegetable soup. Oh, I even added a can of corn I had in my cupboard. Also added home made spaetzle to the soup. Took the entire pot, wrapped the pot up in a large towel, placed it in a small laundry basket and took it over to my daughter's.

Nothing like a nice, light, comforting soup. (No photo of it)...didn't think of it. In the meantime, while the soup was cooking, I made myself a simple egg salad. What do you do when you have extra eggs left over? Well, you can make a nice frittata, or a batch of eggs salad, which I did with 8 leftover eggs. The best part is, if you have one of those cute little plastic "egg slicer" gadgets, that slices and chops eggs perfectly. You just place the hard boiled eggs in the slicer, slice it, then turn it around making sure not to mess up the slice, and press the blades down again and it will dice your egg.

Egg Salad
my recipe

8 hard boiled eggs chopped coarsely
1 Tbsp. Hellman's mayonnaise
1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
salt and pepper to taste


Cook eggs for approximately 13 minutes for perfect hard boiled eggs. (the best way to cook is to place the eggs in water, bring it to a boil, shut the heat off, cover than pot, and leave it on the stove. Time it for 13 min. and take it off the stove, run cold water and keep running water, while you are peeling the eggs. Will not stick, comes out clean
every time.)
In a medium bowl, chop the eggs coarse, lightly mix mayo, mustard, salt and pepper. You can add chopped onions, chopped celery, and chopped pickles if you like, but simple is the best. Serve all those additions on the side.
I personally like mini dill gherkins, sliced jalapeno, tomatoes, and lettuce, and of course chopped onions, that I mix in the salad just for my own serving. Serves 4. Yumm

I'm linking this to: Full Plate Thursday, @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage


Congratulations to the winner of the giveaway book, Lamb's Bread
Emma @Sunflower Days
Emma has already been notified, and book is on its way!

I can't keep talking enough about City Place in West Palm Beach, which is a magical city, within a city that has so many shops and trendy restaurants, and is a place to meet up with your friends, co-workers, and your neighbors.You can actually own, or rent an apartment there (if you can afford it.)  How cool is that? You never even have to leave, because there's even a supermarket just down the street.

You can have a nice bite, or a fabulous dinner in one of the favorite restaurants, or a yummy ice cream, and catch a fun "flick" or have a cocktail at one of the favorite "night spots."
Such a magical place, and to think it doesn't cost you anything to come out and enjoy, just even walking around this "magical place!"
This beautiful fountain was right in front of Blue Martini, which is a trendy restaurant, and "night spot"...so cool!

Funny thing...I visit City Place often, but cannot remember such a beautiful event, as this one. Not really a special occasion, but ...just "because."...and here's Teresa, Lora's M-in-law from Italy, enjoying the view and taking photos. Such a divine evening!

Enhanced by Zemanta

29 comments:

Priya said...

Feel like grabbing that wonderful looking egg salad sandwich and having rite now..Congrats to the winner..

marifra79 said...

Complimenti!! Ne sono molto felice!Un abbraccio

Pegasuslegend said...

looks great and so glad Lora won... she is in my prayers....

Bianka said...

Fantasztikus

Melynda said...

City Place looks magical. I can see how you always enjoy your visit there. Have a great day.

Mari's Cakes said...

Beautiful place! I love egg salad, thanks for you recipe. I hope the surgery goes well :)

aipi said...

Perfect recipe for a quick fix lunch..
Congrats to the winner :)

US Masala

Priya Sreeram said...

what a great looking salad and awesome clicks!

wendyweekendgourmet said...

I love egg salad, but don't make it that often. You've reminded me to make a batch soon and serve in a pita. Thinking of Lora today...many prayers of healing for her!

Swathi said...

This eggsalad looks awesome delicious. Nice clicks. when I visit Florida I will be visiting you so that you can take me to wonderful sight seeing.

Junia said...

i love pita bread pockets!!! i used to be obsessed with egg salad before i became vegan. my mom would make this wonderful recipe growing up!!

Michael Toa said...

Love egg salad sandwich and such a great idea serving it in pita pockets. Why didn't I think of that.. I don't know. I've been praying for Lora and I hope all goes as planned.

Donnie said...

Food and fun all in one post. So cute.

Parsley Sage said...

That egg sammich looks phenom and the soup sounds like it was equally good. Hope everything is going well today. Take care!

Mary said...

Your sandwich looks wonderful. I hope all goes well with your daughter's surgery. I'm keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Have a good evening. Blessings...Mary

scrambledhenfruit said...

I love egg salad- yours looks so good in that pita! Sending prayers for successful surgery and complete recovery!

Karen McLaughlin said...

Elisabeth, thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I'm happy to discover your blog (food and thrifting - my two favorite things, lol). Hope your daughter's surgery goes well!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Putting your wonderful Egg Salad in the pita is a great idea, it is a great presentation. That is really a lovely center the night photo's are awesome, sure looks like a fun place. I wanted to thank you for passing that precious little Chef along to me that I now have on my side bar. You are so kind to pass it to me. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

Gina said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Just stopping by to check on you and Lora. Hoping everything went well. Looks like you guys are enjoying Teresa. Hope you guys have a restfull weekend.
-Gina-

Magic of Spice said...

Such gorgeous pictures...looks like a great place. Loving your pita with egg salad :)

Lizzy said...

I get so much out of visiting your blog, Lizzie! Beautiful scenery, yummy ideas of delicious things to cook, and almost always a new blog to check out.

Thinking of Lora today...and healing prayers for her.

Pacheco Patty said...

Your egg salad in a pita looks like my kind of lunch;-)
I hope everything goes well with your daughter, all my best wishes;-)

Angie's Recipes said...

I love pita sandwich...egg salad is a great idea.

Spoon and Chopsticks said...

Hi Liz, These are great looking pita pockets. I also like your method of peeling eggs. I wasn't aware of that. There's always something new to learn. Thanks for sharing.

Katerina said...

This is the perfect Monday snack for work. It will certainly give me the power to work until late in the afternoon as I always do!

hmariek said...

It is always fun to see how people enjoy their egg salad. I love stone ground mustard. Last time I used fat free sour cream instead of mayo to save calories. Pickles and fresh dill are wonderful as well! I have even tried a little curry powder... it was interesting (not bad) but definitely I prefer the simple mustard-mayo + cayenne pepper of course :)

The Country Cook said...

You make egg salad just the way I like it!! I was just craving an egg salad sandwich too!
Brandie

Mateja ^_^ said...

Congrats to the lucky winner! Your egg salad pita pocket looks yummy divine :)

kitchenmorph said...

yum egg salad...and the soup reads so nourishing too! how do you come to know about events Elisabeth...you're always linking it up!