Thursday, October 28, 2010

Marshmallow Frosting

 
This frosting always puts smiles on every one's faces, The kids line up to take spoonfuls of it, and licking the bowl and beater. I remember when my children were the same ages as my grandchildren, and we're talking over 30 years ago This was the first frosting that I learned how to make, besides the famous chocolate frosting, with egg, and butter in the cream. This particular frosting is also referred to the 7 minute frosting, and is made with pure egg whites, and only one cup of sugar. Zero fat. This is the consistency that is required, thick, and fluff, and ohhh so good. Your family will want to spoon some out from the bowl, lick the beaters, and the bowl like mine does. It actually resembles marshmallow fluff, but this is so much better, lighter, and less sweet than the one you buy in the jar. Recipe follows
.
Marshmallow Frosting...or 7 minutes
1 cup of granulated  white sugar only...not powdered
4 egg whites
1/3 cup of water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla
In a medium saucepan, bring the 1/3 cup of water, the sugar, and the cream of tartar, and bring it to a boil, until you see thick clear bubbles, which should only take about 5 minutes. Be careful not to boil even 1 second longer, soon as it comes to a rapid bubble, because it will turn amber, and than you would have to quickly make a different recipe, and add heavy cream, which would be "caramel sauce"
In a metal bowl, add all the egg whites, and beat the egg whites first until it turns white, and starts to get a little thick. Now, add the sugar syrup only drop fulls at a time counting down the 7 minutes. After about 5 minutes of constantly beating, add the vanilla, and beat another 2 minutes, maybe 3 more. You have enough to 2 nine inch round cakes. I would have had enough for my cakes on the side but I was way to generous with the grandchildren liberally spooning it out from the bowl. It really is contagious. I have given and actually showed how to make this frosting to neighbors, friends, even relatives in Italy, and Hungary. You can also add a drop of food coloring for a different effect. Be careful not to add juice instead of the fruit coloring, that will thin out the consistency.
 
I was going to post my simple version of an easy carrot cake which I made for my granddaughter's 9th birthday yesterday...instead, I decided to re-post my marshmallow frosting recipe that was from several months ago before I joined Foodbuzz, and made friends with so many wonderful people from all over the world.

One particular person, who became such a nice friend is a lovely young lady, called Joanna (Jo) from chicgorgeous whom I tagged last week and was such a good sport to answer the questions I posted, and came up with her own, and tagged 8 other bloggers. First, and foremost, you should check out her beautiful blog...not just because she linked to me, but because of the beautiful Pink Velvet cupcakes she made in honor of "Breast Awareness Month."

We all have someone in our family, relative, or friend, who died from this terrible disease, or a mother, sister, aunt, cousin, or a friend, that is a survivor of breast cancer. Sad to say, I lost my mother, my aunt, years ago, but happy to say that my younger sister is a "breast cancer survivor for the 5th year. I would love to scan a photo of my sweet sister if I could, but my scanner does not work at this time. I do not have anything "pink" at this time to post, but please DO check Joanna's blog at: chicgorgeous

Enhanced by Zemanta

18 comments:

Lizzy said...

I'm going to have to find an occasion to make your frosting...it's been a long time since I made 7 minute frosting...and yours looks fabulous. I'm sorry that breast cancer has touched you so closely...but I'm glad your sister is a survivor!!!

Joanna has a great blog...thanks for pointing me her way!

Sara & Miki said...

A wonderful cake. Kisses.

Debbie B. said...

This frosting looks great! I love the timeless recipes that everyone enjoys! I love marshmallow fluff and have some recipes that call for it ... I can't imagine how good they would be with the homemade stuff!

BakingWithoutABox said...

Love fluff frosting. My grandma used to make it for me. Lost her to ovarian cancer. Think it's wonderful you draw attention to the cause for the cure on behalf of your loved ones.

Brenda said...

Your frosting looks beyond amazing. I can't tell you how badly I want a piece of that cake, lol. It's gorgeous! I'm so happy your sister is cancer-free for five years now. My mother is a 10-year breast cancer survivor and will turn 80 in April. I wish your sister all the best!

Chic&Gorgeous said...

Hi Elisabeth. Whoa..I've been promoted. {huggss} THANKS so much, if only I could post you my Cupid Cupcake aka Pink Velvet for you to indulge in. Btw..I'm a young lady in my mid twenties ;p. Lol..I'm truly honoured. Cheers~Jo

Belinda said...

Thank you for raising awareness and honoring your loved ones. I can see how this frosting makes everyone smile.

Emma said...

I really want a piece of that cake, for a good cause too.

So sorry to hear about your family, I have a family history of breast ca also, I'm glad your lil sis is doing so well.

Mrs Multitasker said...

That frosting looks beautiful! So fluffy and pure! Love it

Mari said...

It is a wonderful frosting. How many egg whites you used? This frosting is what we call here SUSPIRO, I used it decorated my cakes. Yo are more then welcome to visit my blog. You'll find a similar recipe I call it Dominican Frosting.

Have a great weekend :D
Mari

Elisabeth said...

Hi Everyone-Thank you for being so kind with your comments. Yes, breast cancer has been very close in my family, but fortunately, my sister is doing well, so far cancer free for 5 straight years.

Lizzy-I do love this 7 minute frosting recipe, originally from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook from the seventies. I've used this so many times, and we all love it. Light, and fluffy, and fat free.

Emma-So sorry about your family cancer history.
You have to make sure you get mammogram once a year.

Mari-I'm so sorry, that I forgot to mention...it is 4 egg whites that you use. Joanna has it correctly on her blog, and I corrected mine. I will visit your blog too, and comment.

Jo-I know you are a young lady, I saw your sweet photos on your blog, of you and your relatives and friends, having a wonderful time of celebration. Your blog does deserve a mention, just like every bloggers do. We put in a lot of effort, time, and creativity into our blogs.

Citromhab said...

It's so beautiful, I'll try it.

Yesim said...

it looks great.. i m happy to hear good stories who survived from cancer, unfortunately i lost my aunt and grandmum s from this disease, hope nobody has it ..

Elpidio said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Elpidio said...

this cake is perfect for christmas, i will try this one.

healthy meal for kids

Sara & Miki said...

Thank you for your visit and comment. Elizabeth, you remember the Cabbage in Cluj. "Tochitură" is a traditional dish for each region of the country. It is generally prepared when the pig is slaughtered before Christmas.

Kay Heritage said...

This frosting is staring right at me and I can't seem to turn away! Great looking recipe, Elisabeth.

Your globe-trotter host, said...

HI! I finally have time to have a look around your blog, and just found this recipe,... I love it! Thank you for all these tips!