Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fresh Plum Cobbler

I'll be honest with you! There's nothing more satisfying, than a nice portion of fresh fruit cobbler, even in the fall, which happens to be a plum cobbler. So beautiful, and robust color, the sweetness is totally divine. Just a touch of cinnamon and sugar, really livens up the flavors, it's so irresistible!
Just look at the natural colors, and the flaky homemade biscuit topping. Easy to prepare, yet it's so elegant!
Perfect fall dessert...no fuss...no mess...just simply down home "all American" No substitute!
 Fresh Plum Cobbler

3/4 cup, plus 2 Tbsp of sugar
10 fresh plums, about 4 cups, sliced and seeded
2 Tbsp. corn starch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup milk
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the 3/4 cup sugar, plums, cornstarch and cinnamon. Place the fruit mixture in a 2 quart ovenproof casserole. In a medium bowl, combine remaining. 2 Tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt . Cut the butter with a fork, or pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk, mixed with 1 egg, and blend the mixture, just until blended.  Drop batter with a large soup spoon, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes,  till it gets lightly golden, and fruit mixture starts bubbling. Serves 6.




Enhanced by Zemanta

14 comments:

Monet said...

I couldn't agree more! I adore cobblers (in summer, fall, winter and spring!) Plums are tasting oh-so-good right now, so I bet that this was just heavenly. Thank you for sharing. I have dessert picked out for tomorrow night now!
http://anecdotesandapples.weebly.com

Yeşim Çağlar said...

Honestly i am not so fan of dessert and too sweet foods ; as i am turkish i find most of turkish desserts heavy, the best dessert for me could be fruits , and this seems nice,i just need to add less sugar:)

http://yesimstylekitchen.blogspot.com/

Emma said...

I could have done with a big plate of this after dinner tonight! Is raining here and it would have hit the spot :)

http://emmainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

Lizzy said...

I've never made a plum cobbler, but I'd love a nice serving of yours!!! It looks scrumptious!

Elisabeth said...

Thank you:
Monet, Yesim, Emma, and Lizzy,
for the nice comments. I made this yesterday, at my daughter's house, and I was very proud the way it turned out, plus the fact that I could take beautiful natural photos of it, outside the patio. I will be posting the recipe, which really is quite simple.

Spicie Foodie said...

Cobblers are such a great dessert or even breakfast for me. I love your recipe and would love even more to try it. Nice photos too :)

Gina said...

That does sound good, wish i had some right about now! I love how light your topping looks, we still have plums around, I'm going to have to try this. Thanks.
-Gina-

Chefwanabe said...

Yummmm, this plum cobbler looks amazing, I never tried to make one I think it's about time for me to try. Loved the pictures.

Sara & Miki said...

Thank you for your visit and for the assessments. Kisses.

Fiona said...

Ahhh! A woman after my own heart, there's nothing better than baking a lovely cobbler AND finding a true bargain at the thrift shop. There are no thrift shops in Shanghai at all, because everything is already recycled multiple times, but the antique markets have lots of great old kitchenware at (almost) thrift shop prices. I just bought a pair of lovely 50s red wedding thermoses for $10.

Nancy and Vijay said...

I've never had plum cobbler before..it looks very tasty!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

One of my favorite cobblers! Yours looks delicious.

Cheers,

Rosa

Elisabeth said...

Thanks to all:
Spicie Foodie, Gina, Chef Wanabe Sara & Miki, Fiona, and Rosa, for you nice comments. It is greatly appreciated!

Rico said...

excellent cobler ..well done I feel like having a piece now. yum!!