Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter and Walnuts

I was so determined to make these brownies from my Bon Appetit magazine, but I just hesitated because I have never made brownies with browned butter. I do like browned butter on pasta, but have not tried it in a cake or brownie recipe. Browned butter does have a rich, and nutty flavor, so why not add it in the brownies. Also, one other important result, that the recipe did promise, is the fudgy  and chewy outside, with a shiny, crackly top. Just look how it turned out...yumm! It was not very popular with my little ones, (my grandchildren)...my grandson was trying to pick out the walnut pieces, but I had one cup of toasted walnut pieces in the batter. It did not call for toasting the walnuts, but I know that toasting nuts would release the oils from the nuts, and would make it more tasty, and crunchy.
Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter and Walnuts slightly adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, February, 2011

Nonstick Vegetable spray
10 Tablespoon s (1 1/4 stick) unsalted butter
cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
(spooned into cup to measure, then leveled)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, chilled
1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon unbleached all purpose unbleached flour
1 cup walnut pieces
Position rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 325 degrees to 325 degrees F. Line 8x8x2 inch metal baking pan with foil, pressing foil firmly against pan sides and leaving 2 inch overhang. Coat foil with nonstick spray.
Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking until butter stops foaming and brown bits form at bottom of the pan, stirring often about 5 minutes.

Remove from heat: Immediately add sugar, cocoa 2 teaspoons water, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir to blend. Let cool 5 minutes (mixture will still be hot.) Add eggs to hot mixture 1 at a time, beating vigorously to blend after each addition.When mixture looks thick, and shiny, add flour and stir until blended.
Bake brownies  until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean, with a few more crumbs attached. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack.

Using for overhang, lift brownies from pan. Cut into 4 strips. Cut each strip crosswise into 4 brownies. Makes a total of 16 brownies. Store in airtight, at room temperature.
(I put mine in the fridge for a more firm fudge effect.)


(In my opinion, these brownies were fabulous, but 1/2 cup flour is not enough to spend all this time, and just make a small amount. The amount should have been 1 cup of flour, and double the recipe. You could still make it in a 8x8 pan, but then it would have to make at least 45 minutes.The best part was, that all you need is just the one saucepan to mix everything together. I set up my bowl to mix, but it was not needed. The easiest way to get everything right, is to have all your ingredients set up...sure makes your work faster, and more efficient. This is the first time I made these brownies, and will make it again, soon...but without the walnuts for the kids.)
Removing pan from heat immediately, add sugar, cocoa, 2 teaspoons water, vanilla, and salt: stir  to blend.
Cool 5 minutes, mixture will be still warm, but you can add 2 eggs, 1 at a time.
Stir until thick and shiny. Next, add the flour.
 Add flour, and stir until blended. Beat vigorously, 60 strokes.
Stir in walnuts
Transfer batter to prepared pan, and bake for 25 minutes at 325 degrees F.


This is the part I hate...the cleanup...ugh! Just look at the sticky mess, that have to be soaked in soapy water. Good thing I don't have any other dirty dishes than the ones I used, but the outcome is so well worth it. The best brownies...ever!...smiles...








Trim the ends and cut into 4 even pieces, then into 4 smaller pieces from each section...total of 16 pieces.
Four large pieces of the brownie, so perfect, not too gooey, or fudgy, just the right amount of sweetness. I used 1 cup of sugar, and not 1 1/4 cups, like the original recipe suggested.
Just look at the perfect shiny crackly top...just the way it's supposed to look. The browned butter certainly added an amazing flavor, alone with the toasted walnuts, which was my adaptation. Enjoy!




Enhanced by Zemanta

40 comments:

aipi said...

So dense n so chocolaty..love to be able to sink me teeth into it :)


US Masala

Melynda said...

These look fabulous! I love browned butter in baked goods, and finally made great chocolate chip cookies with a browned butter version.

Sandra said...

I love this recipe, looks so amazingly delicious!
Great photos too!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Elizabeth,
This is an awesome Brownie recipe. I am happy to have it and will sure try it soon. Thank you for sharing and have a nice week!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oooo Browned butter brownies , how exciting this is.
And sooo pretty too , the chocolate looks wonderfully glossy. and yeah i lovee that shiny crust too.

ping said...

Hmmm ... I thought all kids love brownies. I know I do ... oh yeah, I'm not a kid anymore. Definitely can't resist these tho. What's wrong with kids these days?

Gesztenye receptjei és Bonbon mánia said...

The brownies is my favorite, I like it.

Bianka said...

Igazán guszta, finom lehet

Priya said...

Omg, seriously am drooling here, prefect for my sweet tooth..

Michael Toa said...

Oh Elisabeth, the brownies look gorgeous. Walnuts are not my favourite nuts, but I'm not picky. I really want a slice now to go with my morning coffee. Have a nice day.

My Kitchen in the Rockies said...

I made them as well a few weeks ago and we all LOVED them. It was my son's decisicion after getting the Bon Appetit magazine out of the mailbox and staring at the brownies on the front page while bringing in the mail. I toasted the walnuts and have several other baking recipes with browned butter, so I already knew that this was a winner recipe for me.

The Country Cook said...

Oh Elisabeth - I am salivating! These are calling my name - LOUDLY! Got it bookmarked!! I'm craving chocolate so bad. I'm going to blame it on the PMS. lol

Brandie

Susi said...

Hi Elisabeth, I'm sorry I haven't been by your blog in a while. After being sick for so long it has been hard getting back into the blogging groove :o) I promise to stop by more often!
Your brownies are delicious looking. I love the walnuts and they look like they are perfectly baked. Definitely a recipe I need to bookmark!

Angie's Recipes said...

wow those brownies look out of this world sexy!

Swathi said...

Elisabeth, this one of the die for brownies. I need to try this recipe as you reduced the sugar it is more easy for me.

Pegasuslegend said...

wow these look like for sure award winning brownies better than any brownie I ever ate! Gorgeous!

la vita è bella (life is beautiful) said...

Hi! I am following you too! Thanks for stopping by! These look delicious! I hope you enjoy reading the book! Have a great day!

Butrcreamblondi said...

You had me at browned butter!

Reeni said...

They look so rich and fudgy - my mouth is watering! I bet the brown butter added a ton of lovely flavor to them!

Kim Kelly said...

I love browned butter, but I'm thinking that I just might love the top of your brownies even more. I love that texture that bakes into the top of brownies and yours show it so well. Nicely done!!

Mari said...

Elisabeth, if wasn't so late I would bake it right this moment. They look delicious, and you have explained the steps clearly, so it is a triumph guaranteed.


Thank you :)

Angellove's Cooking said...

OMG, Elisabeth - this is right my brownies recipe!!! I love it :) and I am sure adding walnuts makes brownies even better!!! I'll definitely try your recipe :))

sanjeeta kk said...

What a lovely Brownies out there! they look so decadent and delicious!

Lite Bite

Frederike @ notes-of-a-foodie.blogspot said...

Boy, that looks yummy!

honey82 said...

Semplicemente meravigliosi Cara,complimenti!!!!;-)
Un abbraccio forte a presto ciaoo*

Pacheco Patty said...

Gorgeous photo of your brownies. I have never tried brown butter in a brownie but how could it not be fantastic??? Next time I make a batch of brownies I'm trying this recipe and I would toast the nuts too because they are always better a little toasty in the chocolate brownies;-)

Patty said...

Elisabeth...these look amazing...you are such a tremendous cook...

Anu & Santanu said...

The pictures looks so tempting.. Delicious recipe..
Bhalo Khabo

Victor said...

The brownies look so perfect, it is so tempting to take right now.

Green Girl said...

walnuts are my favorite nuts and using them in a brownie recipe sounds sinfully delicious. you got me at fudgy. love your photos too.
thanks for sharing Elisabeth

Magic of Spice said...

They look so rich and wonderful...I have coffee and no sweets with my lunch.I promise to clean up if you will make them for me :)

Lizzy said...

Oh, wow...I now want these with walnuts!!! I would just have to eat the whole batch myself :) Yours look spectacular...that glossy surface and chewy insides...just perfect!

Chic & Gorgeous Desserts said...

OMG..I'm drooling over my screen. It looks so moist and dense and on top of it all it looks and taste DELISH. And I'm sure it is ;). I feel like I'm out of my baking world for a while now due to new duties in job, I hope I can get back to it soon. Also I need a new camera [sigh] Take care my dear friend Lissy. Cheers, Jo

Monet said...

Hi lovely lady. I so look forward to your posts :-) I've also been eyeing those brownies for a while, and I am glad that you tried them out for me! Your batch looks just as scrumptious as the magazine's. Thank you for sharing with me! Much love to you and your sweet family!

Foodafok said...

Atya Ég!! Ez nagyon jóó! Köszi a részletes fotókat. Máris keverem kavarom! Én ilyet akarok! Köszike Elisabeth

Anna C said...

Elisabeth, the brownies look absolutely scrumptious! Your brownies turned out so moist, and must be nice and chewy. They would be perfect right now with a cold glass of milk.

Malli said...

The brownies look decandent, rich and moist....wish I could bite into one:)

Stephanie said...

Yum! These brownies look out of this world. I love browned butter -- such a nice toasty flavor.

kitchenmorph said...

this is my kinda thing! and never made anything by browning butter and to think it lends a nutty flavour too...wow. thank you for sharing!

Sarah said...

Hi Elisabeth! I love brownies and these look great! :)